- Additive Manufacturing Processes
- Analysis & Instrumentation
- Cleaning, Polishing & Grinding
- Clinical Analysis & Diagnostics
- Coating & Surface Treatment
- Controlled & Modified Atmospheres
- Cutting, Joining and Heating
- Energy Storage
- Freezing & Cooling
- Fumigation & Pest Control
- Heat Treatment
- Hydrogen Energy
- Inerting, purging, sparging
- Leisure & Hospitality
- Melting & Heating
- Petrochemical Processing & Refining
- Pharmaceutical Processing
- Plastics & Rubber Processing
- Process Chemistry
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
Oxidation is a chemical reaction where atmospheric oxygen in the air surrounding food and drinks attacks the product. The attack can take place at or below ambient temperatures (i.e. during normal storage of beverages, oils, fruit & vegetables or finished food products). It can also occur at elevated temperatures, such as during processing or deep-fat frying.
Help from Linde
We deliver food-grade nitrogen and other inert gases to avoid or minimize the effects of oxidation. Nitrogen is used, for example, to keep oxygen levels in and around the product low. An inert atmosphere stabilizes the product and increases shelf life.
Blanketing is one of the 3 main inerting applications to combat the oxidation challenge.
The air in the empty or headspace around a product can contain moisture and oxygen. But you can replace this air with high-purity nitrogen, which is completely dry and inert – so it does not react with the product. This is a safe and reliable way to protect food from degradation as a result of oxidation.
We also deliver high-precision valve control systems to fill or empty food tanks or containers. These valves automatically adjust the nitrogen content to maintain a constant protective blanket.
Nitrogen blanketing is ideal for tanks holding process and finished oils.